The end of the calendar year is a time for reflection. As 2018 slides into 2019, here is a short reflection on what I’ve learned from 2018 and what I want to carry forward into 2019. To keep this light among the cavalcade of reflections, here is a list of what I want to see More, Better, Different and Less in the New Year with each list capped at three things
- Compassion: I have found this year that first judgements can be poor and that I benefit from having greater compassion for the circumstances of others. Part of this is also having greater compassion for myself. Compassion seems wanting in our world.
- Courage: I need to keep taking risks, saying what needs to be said and pushing myself to do what needs to be done
- Fun: Remember to enjoy each day.
- Conversations: I want to have more of the fierce, critical and constructive conversations that found great relationships.
- Relationships: I am the sum of my closest relationships. I will focus on making them better.
- Creativity: Creativity is something that we can experience in every moment. I’m looking forward to bringing that to life better in 2019.
- Focus: I always have a lot on the go. In 2019, I am keen to try a little focus.
- Mindsets: I am worrying less about the expectations of others. I am also going to focus on my confidence in my own course of action. I will recognise that setbacks are just part of the learning. I will continue to trust others first, but 2018 taught me yet again to trust and verify. ‘Given a choice between incompetence and malice always choose incompetence’.
- Routines: Late in 2018, I started shaking up a few routines to give fresh perspectives. I want to continue that into 2019.
- Tiredness: In 2019 I will be tired less and find better ways to rest and recuperate
- Doubt: In 2019 I will doubt myself less (and devote less time to its cousin worry). All this time is spent better talking or doing.
- Waiting: It feels like I spent a lot of 2018 waiting for things. In 2019, I will keep getting on with it while I wait for others.
Of course, if I could choose three things from the world I want to see less of in 2019, it would be:
- Hatred: the Other is just a poor mirror and society is not a zero-sum game.
- Lies & Deceptions: Separating ourselves from reality is no solution.
- Thought leadership (especially of the Linkedin marketing kind): We have enough platitudes and silver bullets. Lets deal with the real complex and hard work we need to do together.