Yesterday I had a three hour gap between my two meetings in the city. For once, I had resisted the temptation to fill that space with a third meeting. Given a little time to stop and reflect, I discovered again things that I had forgotten in my blur of commitments:
- projects I had conceived but never started
- conversations I had started but never finished
- opportunities that I had not given time
- creative endeavours that needed room for reflection and practice
- lessons of the last few months work
Productivity is not an outcome of the use of every moment of time. Productivity is an outcome of using time in the most effective ways possible. Using time to advantage means making choices and working on the most valuable tasks. You cannot use time to advantage if you do not have the space to reflect, to create and to learn.
Rethinking work is part of the vast abundance of opportunity in space. Give yourself a little more.