Disruptors change the measures of effectiveness in business.
Are you paying attention to the right metrics?
The story famously goes that there are three kinds of people:
- those who make things happen
- those who watch things happen; and
- those who ask ‘what happened?’
In the transformation called digital disruption, these are matched by three groups:
- disruptors (& their customers) creating new measures of effectiveness, success and performance
- organisations outwardly focused, measuring a wide range of results and wondering why it seems the measures of success have changed; and
- the disrupted announcing the disruption can’t last because they are performing fine on their plans and the change doesn’t work on their measures of success.
The surest way to be blindsided by digital disruption is to fix your attention only to your metrics and to your plan.